Wood Brothers Racing New Hampshire NCTS Post Race Report

Wood Brothers Racing New Hampshire NCTS Post Race Report
Keven Wood in the no. 21 U.S. Air Force F-150 Finished 22nd

Loudon, N.H. (September 13, 2008)-Keven Wood finished where he started as he drove the no. 21 U.S. Air Force Ford F-150 back to a 22nd place finish after battling a tight handling race truck in the Camping World RV Rental 200. NASCAR cancelled the Saturday morning scheduled NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series qualifying due to a rain delayed Nascar Camping World Series race that was originally scheduled for Friday. NASCAR made decision to push that race to Saturday and line up the NCTS field according to owner’s points standings.

Keven took the green flag in the 22nd position when on lap five, the first caution of the day occurred. The team decided not to pit and Keven reported a tight handling race truck. Keven restarted in 23rd on lap eight. The caution flag flew again on lap 10 and the team took the opportunity to make a pit stop for four tires, fuel and to make adjustments that would assist with the tight condition. The no. 21 restarted in 26th on lap 14.

On lap 35, Crew Chief John Monsam called out Keven’s lap time, “31.16, that was better; keep it up.” Jon Wood was also on the pit box giving input and tips on how to get around the track better. By lap 47, he found a better line to run on and when the caution flew two laps letter, the 21 crew called for a pit stop to make more adjustments to assist more with the handling. The pit crew made a quick stop and sent the truck back to the track in 19th on lap 59.

At the halfway point, Wood reported that the truck’s condition still persisted and seemed to be worse.  The team made a scheduled green flag pit stop on lap 126 to make more adjustments on the truck along with four tires and fuel. Keven returned to the track in 26th.
After inspecting the tires, Monsam reported the left front tire was flat and that would have caused the extreme tight condition.

On lap 151, the caution flag waved again, the team made more adjustments and took on four tires and fuel. After returning to the track, Monsam called the no. 21 back down pit road for another adjustment. Under time pressure, the team was unable to complete the task and sent Wood back to the track. “You’re the only truck two laps down. Just do your best to make it in one piece,” Monsam said.

The opportunity came along when caution came out on lap 157. Keven came in and the 21 pit crew made the intensive adjustment they aimed to do on the last stop. Keven returned to the track and took the green flag on lap 160 the 24th spot. Keven radioed into the crew on lap 168, “The adjustments were not the way to go.” Fortunately, he held on until the next caution on lap 171 when the team could then reverse the adjustments. They finished the job, but the 21 restarted at the tail end of the longest line in 24th for speeding on pit road.

With the reversal of the adjustments, Keven was better able to handle the truck and with 25 laps to go in the 200 lap event, caution flew on lap 185. The team chose not to pit and worked on track position as he picked up a few more spots from the attrition of wrecked race trucks. Keven took the checkered flag in the 22nd spot.

“We just struggled from the beginning,” Wood said. “We came out here kind of with a partial different setup from the way we ended practice.  It would have been really great to have gotten to run that second practice because I think we would have found that what we did just did not work.  We just had to work on it all day long and just never could get it.  It just stayed tight the entire time.  The guys worked hard and I hate it that we couldn’t do anything better, but we’ll just go to Vegas.  Jon will be at Vegas and we had a heck of a run there last year, so we’ll see what happens.”

Wood Brothers Racing will head to Las Vegas with Jon Wood back behind the wheel of the no. 21 U.S. Air Force F-150 for the Qwik Liner Las Vegas 350 on Saturday, September 20th.