Wood Brothers Racing Homestead Post Race Report

Wood Brothers Racing Homestead Post Race Report
Keven Wood Finished First 1.5 Mile 29th

Homestead, Fl (November 14, 2008)-In his first race on an intermediate fast track at Homestead-Miami Speedway, Keven Wood, driving the no. 21 Aquasun Motorsports Ford F-150, faced some handling challenges late in the race, yet, he had a clean, solid run and finished the Ford 200 in 29th.

Wood took the green flag in the 28th spot after running a qualifying lap dealing with a tight handling race truck earlier Friday evening. On lap 5, the caution flag flew when one truck went spinning out of control.Wood radioed to the crew that his truck was just a bit tight. Crew chief, Gere Kennon made the decision to stay out on the track and not pit. By doing that he gained 10 spots and restarted 23rd on lap 8.

Lap 38, Kennon radioed to Wood, “You’re gaining on some trucks with the good lap times.”Caution flag flew for debris on lap 41, Wood was scored in 27th. He reported a tight condition from the center of the corner to exit. Kennon had him come down pit road for an adjustment, four tires and fuel. The 21 pit crew had a quick stop that gained four spots. Wood restarted the race in 23rd on lap 45.

On lap 75 Wood was running in the 24th spot and Kennon came over the radio telling him, “keep hitting your marks, you’re doing just fine.” The yellow flag waved again on lap 90, Wood reported, “I don’t know what happened to it, but now it’s wicked loose.”

By lap 105, Wood tried to hold on to it but it got to the point where he was feeling a vibration and couldn’t get a handle on it.  However on lap 121 he couldn’t hold on any longer.“I need to come in, there’s something really wrong,” said Wood. He came down pit road and the 21 crew changed four tires and added some fuel. As Wood drove back to the track, the caution came out on lap 124 which put the no. 21 down a lap. When the race restarted on lap 129, he was scored in 28th.

With one more caution on lap 131, Wood expressed that the vibration had dissipated. “I don’t know what we did, but it’s not driving right. I think we over adjusted,” said Wood. The race restarted on lap 135 and utilized the green, white, checkered flag scenario. Wood finished the race crossing the finish line in 28th.

Wood talked about his night, “It was an up-and-down night.  It wasn’t too bad for my first mile and a half.  I had fun tonight.  We made a mistake there on the last pit stop.  I just couldn’t drive it.  I had something loose; I’m not sure what it was.  There was a vibration and I about wrecked coming off of four. I had to pit with 15 laps to go and then a caution came out just after that.  You just never know when you can catch a break like that. It didn’t feel safe, so I brought it in.  I’m proud of my guys on the Aquasun Motorsports Ford F-150.  They did a great job this weekend getting the truck ready for me.  I can’t thank them enough for all their hard work.”

*Photo by Dorsey Patrick Photography